The Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton is committed to providing optimum services to the children, youth and families we work with. If you have a concern or complaint about our service, we want to work with you to resolve the issue.

Informal Complaints

If there is a problem, we will do our best to resolve it. Parents can contact their Child Protection Worker directly with questions, concerns or for clarification. If this does not resolve the issue, parents can contact their Child Protection Worker’s supervisor.

Formal Complaints

The Society has a formal internal complaints procedure that will be explained to parents should a resolution not be found through speaking to the Child Protection Worker and/or their supervisor. This is the first step in the formal complaint process. Please complete the Formal Complaint to a Society’s Internal Complaints Review Panel (ICRP) Form and submit it to the Society by delivery, mail, fax or e-mail.

Information on making an external formal complaint through the Child and Family Service Review Board can be found on the website for the Ministry of Children, Community & Social Services.

Child or Youth Complaints

The Ontario Child Advocate (Advocate) provides advocacy services and can receive and respond to complaints from children and youth. If you are a child or youth, you may complain directly to the Advocate about any matter, without going through the Society’s internal complaints review panel.

The Advocate can also conduct investigations. If you are a child or youth with a concern or someone with a concern about a child, you many complain to the Advocate to investigate a matter only as a last resort. You must exhaust all other complaints procedures before a request for an investigation can be made.

To contact the Advocate’s office call 1-800-263-2841 (toll free).

Know Your Legal Rights

Are you or a family member involved with a children’s aid society in Ontario? Here is some information about legal rights and available resources.

Rights and Responsibilities of Children and Youth in Society Care

Rights of Children and Young Persons Receiving Service