Protecting children from harm is our priority. We attempt to do this by working together with parents and members of our community. Our qualified Child Protection Workers work in collaboration with many community partners to help children and families. We use a child-focused, strengths-based approach to build safety for children.
All 46 children’s aid societies in Ontario are mandated by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, under Ontario’s Child, Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA) to protect children and youth from physical, sexual, and emotional abuse and neglect. The principal purpose of the CYFSA is to promote the best interests, protection and well-being of children and youth.
The Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton believes that the best way to deal with child abuse and neglect is to prevent it. This is why we encourage people to contact CAS before family problems get out of control. Our programs and services can help families through difficult times and teach parents to provide a safe and nurturing environment for their children.
As outlined in the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, we all share a responsibility to protect children from harm.
Children & Youth – Know Your Rights
All children and youth have rights under Canadian law. The Ontario Child Advocate’s Office can help you navigate your rights if:
- You are a young person seeking or receiving services from a children’s aid society.
- You are a young person receiving services from a children’s mental health service.
- You are a young person involved in the youth criminal justice system.
- You are a young person with a special need.
- You are a First Nations youth.
- You attend one of Ontario’s provincial schools for the deaf, schools for the blind or demonstration schools.
Please visit the Ontario Child Advocate’s Office for more information.