We are looking for families who are interested in fostering teens to attend our information night!
We are committed to ensuring that youth are placed in homes that match their respective race, religion and/or cultural background. To meet the diverse needs of our youth, we encourage applications from families of various ethnicities, cultures, and religions.
Our foster families come from a variety of backgrounds and can be single, including LGBT2SQ+, married or living in a common-law relationship, and with or without children of their own.
The ideal foster family understands that:
- LGBT2SQ+ youth face stigma and harassment and need safe environments that are affirming and inclusive and promote a sense of belonging
- Black, Indigenous, and racialized teens experience racism and discrimination and need supportive environments that positively impact their health and wellbeing
- Teens may have trauma, triggers, and underlying mental health concerns
- Teens need a stable environment and a safe space to let their walls down
- Teens require understanding and patience
- Teens may not be looking for the traditional parent/child relationship – they need adult support and guidance in making decisions, learning to trust, help building self-confidence and positive relationships
- Teens may feel insecure, alienated or lonely which may be exhibited in other ways
The Hamilton Children’s Aid Society will support you every step of the way!
Fostering teens involves active engagement with the Hamilton Children’s Aid Society and the community. We provide ongoing support to all foster parents and provide access to:
- Parent Resources for Information, Development, and Education (PRIDE) training
- Comprehensive ongoing training program incentives
- Monthly adolescent support group
- General support group
- Mentor support program
- After-hours support phone line
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- And more
Are you interested in attending the Special Fostering Info Night: Fostering Teens? Contact Sandra Chan, Resource Development at email@example.com. Please include your name, e-mail, mailing address, phone number and a description of your current family composition.
Please note, meetings are held in accordance with Hamilton Public Health regulations and guidelines. At the present time, all sessions are held virtually through Microsoft Teams.